It’s difficult to imagine life without the internet. But the very same wonderful attributes that make it convenient and accessible also bring significant risks.
Hackers and thieves gladly exploit these vulnerabilities, and in recent years they’ve become increasingly brazen, their schemes more sophisticated and slippery than ever.
At CyberScout, we believe prevention is key to keeping your identity and data safe in 2017 and beyond. But you, the consumer, are the first line of defense against a faceless enemy.
Here are a few simple tips and tricks to protect you from cyber risks:
1. Cover cameras on all your devices.
2. File your taxes early to avoid tax-related scams and identity theft.
3. Sign up for free scam alerts from the Federal Trade Commission.
4. Hang up on robocalls, and add your phone number to the National Do Not Call Registry.
5. Regularly monitor your financial accounts and credit report for suspicious activity.
6. Lock down privacy settings on social media accounts and apps that can access personal data.
7. Steer clear of phishing scams by avoiding links or requests for personal information.
8. Install and regularly update security software on electronic devices.
9. Employ strong usernames and passwords, and never share them online or via text.
10. Avoid online shopping scams. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
From all of us at CyberScout, we hope you have a happy and safe 2017.